Sunday, May 15, 2011

Motivation for long term weight loss - by Anthony Noud


I first started exercising and dieting as a means to an end- I wanted a better body, simple as that. I was externally motivated by wanting to look and feel good (and others to notice it) as my sole reason for change. After many attempts wishing, hoping and waiting for it to magically happen I resigned myself to the idea that maybe this exercising and eating right business was simply what I had to do. Exercise became a necessary “task” – something that needed to be completed. Eating clean and dieting was a restriction; constantly feeling like I was “missing out” on yummy food. If you can relate to exercise and diet being a chore, read on…

Even though this external motivation served its purpose in getting me off the couch and into the gym, in order to stay committed to my goals I needed to move beyond relying solely on extrinsic reasons for my training. I often see people give up in their attempts at better health and fitness for this very same reason.

External or extrinsic motivation is being motivated by external things- such as rewards, a prize, what others think, congratulations from one’s peers/trainer/partner etc. People who are externally motivated to exercise and diet often feel like they have little ability to influence the outcome of their efforts and often attribute their success or failure to chance, luck or other people.

I often notice this is the case of women placing all of their value into the number on the scales or people training for specific events such as weddings. Again and again, I see these people in the gym once or twice a day- training as if their life depended on it, seriously putting in the hard work…they may end up looking amazing for their wedding day, or reach their magical kg number on the scales, yet surprisingly they aren’t satisfied with the result, then get fed up and quit. Or they are happy with their efforts, but since reaching their external goal, subconsciously they no longer have any reason to train and the consistency begins to taper off until eventually, they fall off the wagon.



After losing about 30kg I found myself at a crossroad, I was leaner and fitter than I had set out to be, my primary goals had been met, leaving me with nothing to focus my intense efforts on. This is where I happened to find internal, intrinsic motivation to train and eat well.

Intrinsic motivation is a type of self motivation, exercising simply because you enjoy it, the feeling during or afterward, the challenge, the satisfaction of your efforts. People intrinsically motivated feel as though they are in control of, and are competent to achieve the result, holding themselves accountable regardless of the outcome.

Recently I set myself new training goals, and created my workouts with specific targets relating to strength. My entire training program was based around my ability to achieve the targets. The results were interesting to say the least. Initially I was hitting each and every target, I was stronger than I had ever been and felt more excited and motivated to exercise than ever before. This is a great example of extrinisic motivation being of benefit.

On the occasion that I wouldn’t reach my targets, even if I had completed a personal best I would leave feeling frustrated, as if I had completed a failed workout, even though I had just performed better than ever before!  Over a couple of months, it became apparent to me that because I had concentrated all of my efforts toward chasing these external goals to determine my competence and progress I was no longer enjoying my training, and viewed it as a chore.

This can be related to people who are chasing a specific weight loss goal. Often people become so caught up in reaching their magical weight loss number or dress size they can no longer appreciate the journey itself. I see this regularly with clients that have lost significant weight, they are slimmer, stronger, fitter and healthier than they have ever been,  often 90% of the way there! Yet because they are still motivated solely by the number in his or her head, find no joy or sense of achievement in their journey thus far.



I had to get back to the real reasons I trained, where I exercised because I enjoy the challenge, the feeling after a hard workout, noticing the small changes in my body after continued efforts. Like a magic trick, once I let go of the need to achieve a result or reach a specific target I instantly felt better, it no longer felt like a chore…my training was fun again!

TIPS TO INCREASE INTRINSIC MOTIVATION

-                How much do you value this? (If its not at LEAST a 7 out of 10 then you probably wont get there)
-                Set realistic goals- you can’t lose 10kg in 2 weeks!!
-                Do exercise you actually enjoy!- if you hate the treadmill don’t do intervals because womens health mag said to!
-                Do exercise you are good at or feel competent doing
-                Take ownership of your program- your diet and workouts
-                Be involved- create your own plan and then discuss with a professional
-                Count the added benefits of exercise, rather than just weight loss – cardiovascular health, endorphin release, strength, wellbeing
-                Vary your program from time to time
-                Always push yourself and challenge your body- this is necessary, but don’t subject yourself to extreme, unrealistic expectations
-                Try not to compare yourself with others- use them as motivation not for comparison
-                It actually is ok if you don’t meet your specific goal this week if you are putting in 100% effort




Look at your goals, why exactly are you doing this? If it is to please your partner or your co-workers or because you are worried about what others think of you this is fine and may help get you started but rarely do these extrinsic factors provide long-term motivation for change. People motivated by external factors often feel they have little ability to control their weight, and attribute success or failure to things such as luck, chance or others-family, trainer, partner.  Be wary of using “rewards” for exercising or eating well- research suggests this undermines intrinsic motivation.

Instead look within for real reasons to change, intrinsic motivation is the type that doesn’t simply fade overnight. You are likely to be intrinsically motivated if you train because you love it! Own your goals, take responsibility for your food and exercise and partake in exercise you enjoy!

If this was of value to you, it will probably also be of value to others....please SHARE by reposting on your facebook wall, twitter page, email or follow this blog! :)

For real results contact me: anthony@purehealthclubs.com.au 



No comments:

Post a Comment